Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fixed gear for a fixed budget.

I have an insatiable desire to buy a new road bike.   Unfortunately, that's not really in the budget right now.    So what's my solution?   FIXED GEAR!    A fixed gear bicycle is about as basic as it gets, as long as the wheels are turning your feet are moving.    The beauty of this design is that you can use an old bike and get very good results.   I just bought a 70s or 60s Raleigh Grand Prix frame for $20 at a local bike shop.   I plan on slowly building it up this winter with used parts that I can find on the cheap.   It will be a fun project and I can learn a little more about bicycle mechanics.    Details will follow.  

If you're looking for an inexpensive project, building a fixed gear bicycle might be for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment